Sponge finger biscuits
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan forced 160°C). Lightly grease and line two 30cm x 40cm / 11in x 15in flat baking trays with parchment paper. Chill the glasses in the refrigerator.
- Warm Copha in the microwave, just soft enough for creaming (around 1 minute on 50% power).
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of caster sugar and cream the remaining caster sugar and Copha using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks in one at a time followed by vanilla essence.
- Transfer mix to a large bowl and set aside. Beat egg whites using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Add the reserved 2 tablespoons of caster sugar and whisk for a further minute.
- Sift together flours and baking powder. Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolks, then fold the flour mix into the egg yolks. Fold the remaining egg whites into the mix.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle with the mix and pipe 24 biscuits 8cm (3½ in) long.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown and firm, alternating trays half way through cooking. Set tray aside for 5-10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix together hot coffee, marsala and 2 tablespoons of caster sugar. Set aside coffee mixture to cool completely.
- In an electric mixer, whisk half of the caster sugar and the egg yolks until thick and creamy. Transfer mix to a large bowl, then fold the mascarpone gently through one third at a time. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Beat cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Beat egg whites using an electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Slowly add the remaining caster sugar and whisk for a further 2 minutes.
- Take mascarpone mix and whipped cream from fridge. Fold whipped cream gently through one third at a time into the mascarpone mix. Fold in egg whites gently, one third at a time. Keep refrigerated until ready to assemble.
- Each glass will hold three biscuits and ½ cup of mascarpone cream.
- To assemble the tiramisu, cut the biscuits into thirds. Dip four pieces of biscuit at a time into the coffee mixture, squeeze out the excess liquid and arrange in the bottom of the glass.
- Spoon two tablespoons of mascarpone cream over the biscuit, making a smooth layer.
- Continue the process until the glass is full, finishing off with a layer of cream (there should be two layers of biscuit and two layers of cream).
- Dust with cocoa powder and sprinkle grated chocolate over the top, then finish with a maraschino cherry.
- Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
For best results make this the night before serving.
Serving sizes are dependent on size of serving glass, and how generous the portions are. Works well with glasses with 180ml - 250ml capacity.